Start and Grow Your Dream Business
Turn Your Passion For Sewing Into a Biz
Fabric and sewing shops are mesmerizing places with their shelves of colorful fabrics, buttons, and sewing accessories. The internet provides thousands of sewing resources, including patterns for garments, sewing machines, fabric shops, tutorials and expert advice from sewing professionals. For the sewing entrepreneur, the possibilities are endless: wedding gowns, children's clothing, embroidery, furniture slipcovers, custom-made draperies, handbags, throw pillows, quilts, kitchen textiles, hats, costume design, wearable art, tapestries, dolls, alterations, tailoring and so much more.
Sales & Marketing Ideas:
- Highly popular sites like Etsy, eBay and Amazon may prove to be great outlets to sell your creations.
- Pass out business cards and flyers in your neighborhood.
- Tell friends and family about your new sewing business (and ask for referrals.)
- Start a blog/website about your sewing passion.
- Use the power of social media to showcase your talents and engage with an online community of sewing enthusiasts and attract new clients. (Facebook page/group, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.)
- Post local classifieds ads.
- Send out a press release to inform the media about your new venture.
- Teach a sewing class/DIY projects at a community college, learning center, or online.
- Introduce yourself and your work via video channels like YouTube and Vimeo.
- Showcase your work on popular sites like Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.
- Promote your products at crafts and trade shows.
- If your budget allows, hire a professional photographer to help build your portfolio.
- In-Home parties are a great way to get your business off to a good start. Have an Open House to showcase your creative products; invite friends and family and have them invite others.
- Sell to hospital gift shops, children and maternity clothing stores, host a show for expecting moms.
Industry Resources & Inspiration
The American Sewing Guild (ASG) offers education resources and encouragement to their members. It is made up of Chapters and Neighborhood Groups across the country. Social events include fashion shows and sewing fairs.
Association of Sewing and Design Professionals - Support individuals engaged in sewing and design related businesses, in both commercial and home-based settings. Offers seminars, meetings, classes and other events. Their Master Certification Program is open to both non-members and members of the association.
Classic Millinery Techniques: A Complete Guide to Making & Designing Hats
Sewing to Sell - The Beginner's Guide to Starting a Craft Business: Bonus - 16 Starter Projects How to Sell Locally & Online
Stitch by Stitch: Learning to Sew, One Project at a Time
Subscription: Threads Magazine
Are you a sewing entrepreneur? We'd love to hear your story. Submit here.
You may also like: Become a Fashion Stylist; Start a Wedding Business
Sewing Projects, Supplies...
Discover Your Passion Your Story Write For SBS Become a Professional Organizer Start a Wedding Business Start a Sewing Business Start a Culinary Career / Start a Baking Business Become a Virtual Assistant Start a Home-Based Direct Sales Business Become a Fashion Stylist Franchising Start a Pet Business Back to the Small Business Series Home Page Back to A Walk In The Garden Greetings Home Page
2015-2020 Small Business Series. A Division of A Walk In The Garden Greetings | All Rights Reserved.